Tuesday, June 28, 2011

On the subject of Beer

I currently have an Irish Red in the secondary fermentor. I would post the recipe but my program was a trial and the payment site is being stupid, as is paypal. Moving on. The Irish Red is my 5th batch and in my error I used the priming bucket to measure my gallon marks. Big pickle bucket with decal markings, probably mass produced means inaccurate measurements. Long story short, this will be a true Irish Red as the projected ABV was 5.5% and the actual ABV was measured at 7.9% Go me for undercutting the water in the recipe. Moral of the story, break out the measuring cups and get an accurate marking by gallon for 5 gallons.

TL;DR
When doing something that requires precise measurements, use a proven gauge; don't wing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment